Not your everyday fall internship
We are looking for a student, studying industrial design, that is looking for a hands-on experience for no more than 3 months. You will learn our unique design process and develop an intuitive sense for good form, detail and a wide knowledge of manufacture processes while working with our teams of designers.
TEAMS Design is an award winning, multi-national Design firm with studios in Chicago, Esslingen, Hamburg, Belgrade and Shanghai. Our work ranges from housewares to industrial tools, from forks to forklifts. We are known for our brand-wide approach, often developing whole product lines.
We are known for our brand-wide approach, often developing whole product lines.
The Chicago studio is a creative environment in a light-filled, open loft with a great view of the city's famous skyline. Centrally located in West Town, we’re nestled in the middle of a creative warehouse neighborhood that's home to art and design studios, architectural salvage stores, and two pro sports teams. We enjoy biking to work, caffeinated beverages, and competitive lunchtime foosball in a pet-friendly environment.
What you’ll be doing while you are at TEAMS
- Learning good visual skills, critical judgment of form and visual detail through participating in critiques with team members.
- Learning the ability to create and improve complex sculptural forms through sketching and mock ups.
- Improving your concept exploration sketching skills and ability to think on paper or Cintiq through constant sketching on projects.
- Maximizing your presentation and computer rendering skills.
- Honing your 3D modeling skills – preferably Rhino, Pro/E or Solidworks.
- You must be self-motivated and passionate about design in this fast-paced environment.
- You’ll learn why great communication is a key skill for advancement.
- You must have the ability to think on your feet -react and problem-solve on the spot and you’ll learn why.
Specific Skills Desired
- Student in an accredited industrial design program
- Verbal communication and showmanship skills
- Story telling skills
- Aesthetic skills, critical judgment of form and visual detail
- Concept exploration sketching skills –ability to think through problems visually
- Understanding of materials and processes
- Presentation and computer rendering skills (Adobe Creative Suite)
- 3D modeling skills – preferably Rhino, Pro/E or Solidworks
- Self-motivated and passionate about design
- English proficiency required, German or other languages a plus
Please be sure to include a complete portfolio with your resume to help our selection of interview candidates.
Please keep email attachments under 8MB.
We would also appreciate a cover letter (which may be your email) that explains what job you are applying for and why. You may submit your materials via a cloud-based file transfer such as Hightail, DropBox, Google Docs, or post on your own ftp or portfolio site.
Please send your application to: [email protected]
Your contact person is: Marianne Grisdale
Please apply via email only. No phone calls please. You will hear from us, but due to the number of applicants, we’d appreciate your patience.
TEAMS. Products of Empathy.