Industrial Design Internship
Not your everyday internship
We are looking for industrial design students that are looking for hands-on experience for 3 months or more. You will learn our unique design process and develop an intuitive sense for good form, detail, and a wide knowledge of manufacturing processes while working with our teams of designers.
TEAMS Design is an award-winning, multi-national Design firm with studios in Chicago, Esslingen, Hamburg, Belgrade, and Shanghai. Our work ranges from housewares to industrial tools, from forks to forklifts. We are known for our brand-wide approach, often developing whole product lines.
The Chicago studio is a creative environment in a light-filled, open loft with a great view of the city's famous skyline. Centrally located in West Town, we’re nestled in the middle of a creative warehouse neighborhood that's home to art and design studios, architectural salvage stores, and two pro sports teams.
What you’ll be doing while you are at TEAMS.
- Learning good visual skills, critical judgment of form, and visual detail through participating in critiques with team members.
- Learning the ability to create and improve complex sculptural forms through sketching and mock-ups.
- Improving your concept exploration sketching skills and ability to think on paper or Cintiq through constant sketching on projects.
- Maximizing your presentation and computer rendering skills.
- Honing your 3D modeling skills – preferably Rhino, Pro/E, or SolidWorks.
- You must be self-motivated and passionate about design in this fast-paced environment.
- You’ll learn why great communication is a key skill for advancement.
- You must have the ability to think on your feet -react and problem-solve on the spot, and you’ll learn why.
Specific Skills Desired
- Student in an accredited industrial design program.
- Verbal communication and showmanship skills.
- Storytelling skills.
- Aesthetic skills, critical judgment of form, and visual detail.
- Concept exploration sketching skills –ability to think through problems visually.
- Understanding of materials and processes.
- Presentation and computer rendering skills (Adobe Creative Suite).
- 3D modeling skills – preferably Rhino, Pro/E, or SolidWorks.
- Self-motivated and passionate about design.
- English proficiency required German or other languages a plus.
- Please be sure to include a complete portfolio with your resume to help our selection of interview candidates.
- Please keep email attachments under 10MB or send an online link to your portfolio.
- We would also appreciate a cover letter (which may be your email) that explains what job you are applying for and why. You may submit your materials via a cloud-based file transfer such as Hightail, Dropbox, Google Docs, or post on your own FTP or portfolio site.
- Please send your application to [email protected]
- Please apply via email only. No phone calls, please. You will hear from us, but we'd appreciate your patience due to the number of applicants.
TEAMS. Products of Empathy.