In 1956, Professor Hans Erich Slany founded Slany Design and laid the cornerstone for one of the largest and longest running design agencies in the world.
In 1987 Reinhard Renner and Klaus Schoen partnered with Hans Erich Slany and became directors and owners of the company. The firm began to be known as SLANY DESIGN TEAMS. In 1996 the name officially changed to TEAMS Design GmbH. Since 2002 the company is owned by Reinhard Renner, Hans-Peter Aglassinger and Klaus Baumgartner. In 1998 TEAMS Design began to expand internationally, founding their first branch in Chicago with Paul Hatch as president. The second German studio was opened in Hamburg in 2002. Its president is Ulrich Schweig.
Further international expansion quickly followed as branches were established in Belgrade 2004, headed by Zarko Bubalo, and Shanghai in 2006. Presidents of the Shanghai office are Luo An and Martin Rauch.